The Sky One-Touch Power Top for Jeep® Wrangler comes from Webasto
Stockdorf/Plymouth (MI) – May 30, 2018 – Webasto, the world market leader for convertible roofs, provides the Sky One-Touch Power Top for the all-new 2018 Jeep® Wrangler, the most capable SUV ever. FCA US LLC recently recognized “the commitment, performance and partnership” demonstrated by Webasto with an Innovation Supplier of the Year award. Having been instrumental in the creation of the SUV convertible segment, Webasto is now moving ahead with another innovative automatic soft top.
Great challenges produce great achievements
Great technological challenges served as an incentive for the experts for open-air driving to forge the ultimate in adventure, convenience and luxury. This combination of high-end technology and unique requirements formed the interesting challenge for Webasto. In the process, it created a unique open air driving experience.
The extreme Jeep off-road requirements have been fully implemented with this unique automatic soft top. The roof was designed to withstand all that an SUV - and its roof - are subjected to in all-terrain experience: vibrations, torsion, swirling dust, sand and gravel.
This marks the first time that a folding soft top has pinch protection if the front edge of the roof encounters resistance. Not to be overlooked, the aerodynamics: extra roof bows were added, to prevent flapping when the vehicle’s doors and side windows are removed.
Comfort and convenience are also important hallmarks of Webasto. The roof allows occupants to retract the full-length open canvas roof with a push of a button. When open, the convertible system does not take up trunk space, since the folding roof slides behind the C-column. The rear side window opens manually and is attached to the vehicle frame with quick-release fasteners. Easily accessible, both the left and right windows can be removed individually, with no tools needed. They can be easily stowed in a carry bag made by Webasto that comes with the car.
It’s all in the innovative technology
Despite its size, the folding roof presents a gentle, harmonious look. To achieve this, the roof has been designed with one front bow and nine interim bows and a rear cassette to provide for optimal tension – helping to prevent any pockets or sink marks. Lightweight design characterizes the state-of-the art roof. The roof and window frames are made of sheet molding compound, while the top is a blend of steel with high stiffness, aluminum and plastic.
The roof is powered by two electric motors with an electronic control system. The latches driven by the e-motors have another unique feature - a pull-down function in the end position when the roof closes. This increases the fabric tension of the closed roof and thus its tightness and impermeability.
- Surface area of the folding top: 2.8 m² - therefore the largest folding soft top in a series production convertible
- Weight of soft top with frame: 39 kg – very lightweight for its size
- Exterior color of the top: black canopy, painted parts in body color
- The fully automatic roof opens and closes with one click of a switch at speeds of up to 60 mph.
- Time to open/close: 17 sec.
- Retracts backward from windshield folding completely behind the C column and continuously enables stopping it in any desired position
The following news that could also interest you
- The electric future is now: Webasto in the new Lotus Eletre
- Annual press conference: Webasto successfully advances its transformation
- Power2Drive: Webasto Introduces New Webasto Unite Charging Solution
- Power2Drive: Webasto exhibits future electromobility solutions
- Webasto at RETTmobil International in Fulda