In the globally positioned Mechatronics Competence Center, MCC for short, Webasto pools its own software, hardware and mechatronics expertise in-house.
Modern-day vehicles are equipped with increasingly sophisticated technical features. Up to 100 control units communicate with one another and control thousands of functions that are generally not discernible to the driver, thus ensuring comfort and safety.
In our world, nothing happens anymore without electronic control units, ECU's for short. Whether it's in roof systems, heaters or convertible roofs, electronic control units control and monitor the various functions and are the indispensable aids in the background.
Our ECU's developed in-house at Webasto not only control operation, but are also vigilant in making sure that heaters, sunroofs and convertible roofs function safely under all circumstances.
- Automatic "altitude adjustment" of the heater due to the integrated function for calibration of the parameters of the combustion process at high elevations
- Automatic switch-off of the heater in tanker trucks while the fuel-pumping process is in progress
- Protection from overheating of the motors in the event of overuse of sliding roofs
- Protection from injuries by getting caught in roof systems
- And much much more
In addition to the functional requirements and their integration in the highly complex vehicle system, Webasto also meets the individual requirements of the respective automakers and the worldwide standards, statutory requirements and specifications.
With their software and hardware developments, the employees in the global MCC network support their colleagues in the heater development area as well as those in the roof and convertible units.
The result is the unique quality and expertise made by Webasto.
One of the success factors in the outstanding technical achievements and individual solutions that come from Webasto is the interdisciplinary and international cooperation in the development and implementation of mechatronic systems.
Webasto's modular concept generates a solution for every requirement and guarantees cost-efficient, highly integrated electronic modules:
- Sound component strategy in hardware development
- Standardization with the use of control unit platforms
- Utilization of qualified standards such as AUTOSAR (AUTOmotive Open System ARchitecture) in software development
- Utilization of efficient tools such as model-based software development
- Securing safety-related functions
- High-efficiency, automated testing of the control units
- Qualified testing with MiL, SiL and HiL (Model, Software, Hardware in the Loop)
Development of drive and control unit systems
Concept development (circuit diagrams, layout generation, simulation)
Prototype construction (printed circuit boards, software integration)
Mechanical development (integration of electronics / systems competence)
Starter units (stationary, mobile or app-controlled HMI-operating units)
Model-based software development and C-programming
Integration of Bus interfaces (CAN, LIN, W-Bus)
Vehicle integration (e.g. network management, diagnosis)
Testing - software and hardware
Model in the loop (MiL) and software in the loop (SiL)
Hardware in the loop (HiL) (test benches and laboratories)
Development of motors
Design and integration of motors and drives
Development of cable harness, transmission design
Supporting processes such as project and quality management
Electronics development according to PEP (product engineering process)
ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 9001 (quality management)
ISO15504/Automotive SPICE (requirements for the software development process)
ISO 26262 (functional safety in an automobile)